The thing about me… is that I’m not just a beauty blogger I don’t really label myself as one. I like to say I blog about beauty, yes, but I also blog about life and have you not read my reviews on some restaurants and their food? Perhaps the little snapshots of my weekend? You get what I mean.
On Wednesday, the lovely Tine from Beautyholics Anonymous wrote an article on “What Does A Beauty Blogger Do?” and I find it very interesting with some truth reflected back to me. I can relate. As I have said I also blog about beauty. Three quarter or the majority of my posts are about beauty. I do it because I like to and not being pressured into. Mind you, there have been times I felt being pressured into writing a review but ended up realising that it is your choice whether to put up a review or not. To even put up any post at all.
So I though I would share some of these “truths” with you, my readers, as well…adding my own.
- Sneaky sneaky lemon squeezy – taking photographs of makeup counters or products or displays in shopping centres or in stores using your phone (turned to silent, but mine … the camera does not have a silent button for its shutter sound, bummer) – either for your blog or … you guessed right, twitter. … I am twittering, I’m twittering, yeaaa….
- Carrying wet wipes in handbag – Tine mentioned this, but I normally just ask for tissues or grab any available tissues nearby. This is for those swatch-a-thon moments when you just feel the need to swatch… everything and anything you feel like. Why? For the blog.
- I swatch on my left leaving the right hand free to do the photography when I am out in the shops. Usually the swatch will be in line with each other and even the SA will be amazed how many you are swatching and how perfectly aligned they are next to each other. Little do they know… you’re including this in your next blog post.
- I browse makeup and beauty counters and stores to “check out what’s new”
- Some SA would know you by name… because you’re there… again.
- I go into stores to “check prices” or “test how they feel”
- Any makeup or beauty products I buy or received must not be opened until I take a picture of it… before, during and after… Unless I find a way to put it all back to how it originally is packaged.
- Packaging must not be thrown until I have at least taken a photo or jotted down the ingredients list and any information they claim to be. Unless I can find it online.
- I look for bookcases, cd cases and filing organisers – for organising products
- There is at least some makeup or skincare products on my desk – I use them all the time!
- I have drafts or reminders noted on paper and laptop of “To Review” or “Blog Posts”
- I don’t throw out empty products straight away – for “empties” post
- I get excited when I see the pan of any products I’ve been using or running low on products – I’ve hit pan, guys! Yeah!
- Never thought Organic Chemistry would come in handy… until now when I begin to pick on the Ingredients list
- I stick labels on the products (recent habit) of the month when I started using them
- First thing I notice when going overseas:
- Duty Free Cosmetics department – what are the limited edition travel edition
- What brands are available and how much cheaper compared to Australian dollars
- What I should stock up on
- When I describe products I go by whether I will repurchase or recommend them. Are they dewy, matte, or do they blend like a dream… (Don’t you love that phrase… it’s like butter!)
- I want to buy several products from either different brands or same brand but different types – for blog research and comparisons
- I know upcoming product earlier than the SAs in the counter
- You are known to your friends as… “always on your phone!” – because you check twitter and reply to people’s comments and messages
- I would take a camera but thank God for the camera in my phone for when I’m out because I can take photos and straight away “blog” or “tweet” about it.
- For others might say "love the dress" - I'd stare at their cheeks or their 'flawless complexion' (or any facial features) and would wanna ask... "what do you use?" or compliment them for those features ("love your lipstick!")
- I take photos of myself – FOTD
- I take photos of my nails – NOTD
- I take photos of my clothes – OOTD
- I want that that and that – for giveaways
- I hope to someday have my own little walk in beauty room
So there you have it… I’m sure I have missed out one more or two or how many more there are.