Winter Essentials. e01. “Lip Balms”

Thought I let you in some of my current staple winter essentials and let’s start off with something I wear every single day and if I don’t have any, I go “omg, oh no” and end up with bleeding cracked lips… not a good look.

1) Lucas’ Papaw Ointment

Fullscreen capture 16052012 114519 PM.bmp

An oldie but a goodie. I’m sure everybody is familiar with this red tube. It’s almost like a cult. I never heard or knew about it until few years ago, actually and I live in Brisbane (where this is made). It works amazingly in keeping your lips protected. I like to put a thick layer on at night and sleep on it – wake up to “hello smooth lips!” ready for kissy kissy… a’ight I’d leave that to you.

This is not a good base for lipstick, though, as this is quite a thick paste. It also has a tinge of herbal scent – that some people may not be a fond of.

Price has gone up over the years. It now costs ranging from $3+ to 4.99-$5.99 depending on where you get it from and whether it is on sale. Still affordable for the 25g tube you get. Available everywhere – Woolworths, Coles, Priceline, Kmart, Big W, Target, and your local chemists.

2) Maybelline Baby Lips

Fullscreen capture 16052012 114348 PM.bmp

I have 2 – Mango Pie and Menthol. I love the Menthol one – it’s minty and refreshing. It’s one of those twisty chapstick tube, so you don’t need to use your fingers to apply. Easy peasy and very convenient.

This leaves a balmy feel on the lips. Moisturising and not sticky. It is not glossy either. Not too bad of a base for lipstick but I don’t normally wear lipsticks when I wear this just because I just don’t wear lipsticks on daily basis.

Price varies from $3+ to somewhere in the $4ish depending on sale. Available at chemists, Priceline and anywhere that sells Maybelline.

3) Kit Cosmetics Lip Balm SPF15

Fullscreen capture 16052012 114126 PM.bmp

Surprisingly this actually does soften and protects my lips. I feel like it has this extra buttery texture which coats my lips and moisturises it. It contains Kakadu plum, quandong and lemon. It has a buttery texture and a nice semi matte finish. Loving the fact that it contains spf15 means that I be wearing this during day time more often. I keep this in my bag. I also love how you only need a pin size to cover your lips. Totally enjoying applying this on my lips ever since I opened the tube.

$16.95 at Kit Cosmetics for 15ml tube.

4) Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 SPF4

Fullscreen capture 16052012 114801 PM.bmp

This is like a softer version of the Kit Cosmetics lip balm and more towards petroleum jelly sort of texture but not as greasy as jelly. I don’t like dislike loathe the petroleum jelly feel on my lips but this is surprisingly good. It is smooth and gives my lips a protection without giving me the yucky gel feel of… petroleum. It’s been around for 40 years – omg, wow!

Available at Kiehl’s counter. I believe it’s around $11ish now.

5) Dr Hauschka Lip Balm

Fullscreen capture 16052012 114244 PM.bmp

If you want the ultimate, this is it. I love this and actually almost running out of mine, and saving it for rainy days. It smells freshly of roses but not sickening. Herbal roses, some may like it some may not. It is very hydrating and I love putting this on at night time. It works nicely in the morning under lipsticks too. It contains ingredients such as Castor Oil, Beeswax, Peanut Oil, Carrot Root Extract, Apricot Kernel Oil, Calendula, Sunflower Seed Oil, Cocoa Seed Butter, Wheat Bran Extract, Wheat Germ Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil… now we know why it is so good as a treatment and a must have in my essentials kit.

$19.95 at David Jones.

6) Malin+Goetz Lip Moisturizer

Fullscreen capture 16052012 113900 PM.bmp

This is the only one out of all the above that will give you a gloss finish. This works as highly hydrating lip moisturiser or a lipgloss, really. You can use this on top of your lipstick too. The tube may look so small, but don’t let that fool you (unless you’re chewing through it), you only need a pin size amount. This is like a special occasion must have saviour. Due to its slight stickyness, the lips wearing this may not be well suited for kissing purposes.

$20.00 at Mecca Cosmetica

-

I personally would repurchase all of the lip balms mentioned above and always have them in my essentials kit using them on rotation depending on condition of my lips.

What are some of your favourite lip balms?

-x-

Pictures credit to their respective sites or Google images.

Comments

Popular Posts