Foundation Swatch Compare: Maybelline SuperStay 24Hr vs Revlon PhotoReady

EDIT: (21 March 2011)
This review is not up to date. I am now loving the Maybelline Super Stay 24 Hour Makeup Liquid Foundation - it's my go to foundation. It has impressed me and has won way above the Revlon PhotoReady.

Quick swatch of Maybelline SuperStay 24Hr & Revlon PhotoReady Liquid Foundation in the shades ...



Left: Revlon PhotoReady in 008 Golden Beige
Right: Maybelline SuperStay 24Hr Makeup in Nude

(please excuse the streakiness, they don't apply like that,
I was using cotton q-tips to spread it out on my underarm,
I wanted to show you how it looks unblended)

  • Both are runny in texture
  • I personally think the Revlon one is smoother. For example, both are smooth whipped cream but one just smoother, melts in your skin better than the other.
  • Maybelline has a strange odour, it's sort of chemical/alcohol/paint smell.
  • Both packaging are glass bottles with plastic caps
  • Revlon has a secure snap lock; while Maybelline is a screw top

  • Maybelline's claim to be 24hr and withstand heat, sweat, and humidity; and no transfer; won't rub off; flexible; breathable; all-day comfort; suitable for all skin type - is very high expectations to reach! It's a bit of a stretch, cause I don't think it actually live up to its full claim.
  • I don't think it's suitable for all skin type because it can be a tad drying; you probably need a refresher spray. For oily skin, yeah sure this foundation should be fine.
  • Can be a little blotchy if not blended properly. Or when you apply with your foundation brush, might be best to work in smaller patting motion rather than large area streaking motion.
  • Maybelline, stop overestimating... but then, I guess that's what's all the marketing people are for.




  • Both blends to my skin; but I tend to reach for Revlon one a lot more
    I think my skin just likes Revlon PhotoReady more
  • Revlon PhotoReady does not stay that long either. (In this category, I would say my Hourglass wins in terms of longevity and wear and waterproofness)
  • Revlon PhotoReady has not given me any breakouts and I'm quite sensitive
  • Been using this with ELF Powder Brush (the Flat Top one, which I love!)

  • In the end, Revlon PhotoReady wins...

  • For reference: I use Hourglass Veil Foundation in No. 2 (which now is a tad not matching to my neck/chest); NC30 (last time I checked; but since I don't own any MAC foundations I can't give you a swatch comparison);
  • Would I repurchase?
    Maybe I'll repurchase the Revlon one if I run out... but that's WHEN I run out =) There are a lot of other great foundations out there left for me to test out. ^^And maybe just because I'm such a biggie on long-wearing foundations, I probably just fork out more for other foundation that lasts longer. I'm usually out from noon till night, or from morning till evening... but that's just me.
Which foundation do you currently use? Suggestions and recommendations and comments are welcome!

Comments

Fifi said…
Oooh you should try applying your liquid foundation using a skunk/duo fiber brush (the stippling method). It makes a big difference, in my opinion :)

Glad that Photoready works well on you. I'm so curious about the product but it's not yet available here in Indo. >.<
.blushfully. said…
Oohh I've heard lots of great things about the duo fibre stippling brush. I'll try when I get my hands on one =) Thanks for the recommendation, Fif!
Cyn said…
Hi Hi,

Will the photoready in Golden Beige match ur skin or does it turns out darker? I have almost your skintone NC25-NC30 and I wanted to try it out but kinda afraid of the unmatched color. Btw, you have a great blog. Do drop by at mine too.

xoxo,
Cynthia
http://slowbro-gal.blogspot.com
Tammy said…
A lot of good reviews on the Revlon Photoready! If I wasnt all stocked up already I'd definitely try it too :)
Toothfairy said…
Hey Dana!

Sorry for spamming you, you know it's not my policy, but I just want to tell all participants of the "A piece of me" game that I've moved my blog to welovetoothfairy.com!


xoxo
Shirley
Unknown said…
Oh, i've tried both... and photoready wins, i.m.o, too!
.blushfully. said…
Hi Alex ^^ yeah, I prefer photoready hehehe... though I do tend to switch up my foundations hahaha. thanks for dropping by =)

Popular Posts